Beautiful, fanciful, playful tablescapes to share with you... and delectable dishes to inspire...

Thursday, June 28, 2012

A Perfect Day and Green Corn Tamales!






Here are my homemade green corn tamales, steaming in the big pot.  They steam for about 45 minutes to an hour.

 
 The tamales, after cooking.  Notice the string and empty corn husks - couldn't wait to eat one (or two)!  I use cooking string instead of the traditional little slice of corn husk to tie them up because the string is so much more reliable.  After scrubbing the outside of the corn with a vegetable brush, I cut a little off the top and the bottom of the cob.  Then I carefully peel off the corn husks under cool running water.  That is just the first step.  It's a process but really worth it.  My tamales don't look perfect, but they taste divine!

Green corn tamales... nothing more delicious.  I make my own by my own recipe which takes me 3 hours, that does not include time spent picking out the corn at the grocery store, nor the cleanup.  I turn to this food whenever I feel ambitious and in the mood to spend a lot of time in the kitchen.  But... the reward is so great!
It's been raining today, and I have been listening to my CD from the original soundtrack of "The Mission," music by Ennio Morricone, as I work.  The haunting, recurring melody of what is now known as "Nella Fantasia" is interwoven throughout.  It is such a perfect day... rain, beautiful music, and making green corn tamales.  Wish you were here!


PS You can find both Russell Watson's version and Sarah Brightman's version of "Nella Fantasia" on YouTube.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers